Monday, August 7, 2017

She's so oppressed. So persecuted.

My boss comes to me this morning, and says..."So a woman called, left a message (no name, no number for call back) saying that she didn't feel comfortable shopping here anymore, and that she was going to let all of her friends know that we sell items used for witchcraft, and that we are supporters of witchcraft."

Well, as it turns out, I am the buyer of gifts at my store. Being an earth friendly, natural foods, hippy friendly type of place, we have a lot of requests for things like goddess pendants, or pentacle charms. Often, I get a request for a particular book from a Pagan author, or a deck of tarot cards. I like to make my customers happy, and sometimes  that means bringing in 2 or 3 of any given item to meet the mandatory minimums for a given supplier.

So, at the moment, I have a stack of goddess pendants, some female centered literature, and some beautifully illustrated tarot decks. I also have an entire line of gorgeous candles, and another line of wonderful, biodynamic Incense. Also, some yoga stuff.

Let's keep in mind, that I also have had Shop-Give-Courage items, (Christian company) Raku Crosses, (Christian symbolism) and Angels, (Duh) and we currently have a whole line of very visually Christian breads and cereal products called "Ezekiel." Those items have bible verses right on the boxes.

This lady was very upset that her religion wasn't being given equal floor time.

I beg to differ. Also, this isn't a church, and I don't HAVE to bring in things just to appease someone who might want it. If you want a particular item, I am HAPPY to bring it in for you. But after centuries of religious oppression by YOUR God, don't be surprised when I don't tend to bring in his symbols without being specifically asked for it. Which by the way, I have never been.



No comments: